Blog

12/05/2010

I'm back









Image: Apollo 13's return splash landing, courtesy of Nasa images

Well it appears I have embarrassingly abandoned my blog for what looks like to be coming up for 7 months now. But I have a good reason…

… Since August I have been immersing myself into the real world of work; seeing what I have to offer the industry and what it can offer me back.

I reckon life as an intern has treated me pretty darn good, and I have discovered some pretty ace projects and ideas along the way.

I’ve been helping the Strategists do strategy and writing for SFTW newsletter with the super miss sarah rabia (she likes her name better without the capitals) and the brilliant Mr Neil Bennett at Mother London (who have recently won Campaign’s ad agency of the decade no less)

Before Christmas I was doing some design and graphic work for artist Ben Moore and his organisation Art Below (check out the site’s menu bar – one of my many creations) Along with Philip Levine they ‘Turn ad space into art space’, displaying creatives’ work on the London underground.

Phil also does some fascinating things with his head. He uses it as blank canvas for artists to do their thing (he is going bald – if that makes more sense). I also had a helping hand in his piece du resistance, sticking hundreds of Swarovski crystals to his head, turning him into a sparkly Lego helmeted man. I’ve often wondered if he could become exclusive ad space for a brand, which I guess is ultimately selling his head. Certainly one to ponder.

Then most recently I have been working at the absolutely marvellous Future Laboratory as their visual intern. I am absolutely gripped and fascinated by the world of trends and forecasting and what better place to show me the ropes. I have been researching, writing and visualising stories for LS:N Global, their online portal into Brands, Lifestyle and News for subscribing clients and I was also rather privileged to be there and help in the intense 3 month lead up to the mega biannual Trend Briefing day.

I got to explore what might happen in the ‘Turbulent Teen’ years to come; the most challenging and problematic, yet optimistic and imaginative decade of our lifetimes. We looked at the ‘Leanomics’ concept stemming from stuffocation and information overload; we shall witness the emergence of the need to pare down, brand filtering, pause culture, and the growth of ‘thick value’ brands and business. I was also seeking out the newest and most intriguing projects by up and coming ‘Betapreneurs’; people with a whole new entrepreneurial mindset.

It has been a truly inspiring experience! And hopefully one to continue…

Next stop, Hunt Haggarty!

No comments:

Post a Comment